Mortal Kombat X has a great story mode consisting of 12 chapters. Perhaps one of the best, the story revolves around an incident that takes place 25 years after the events in a different timeline of its predecessor. Back when I started playing Mortal Kombat X, I was confused as to how to unlock story mode. However, after some tedious research, I finally found how. Now, if you are like me, trying to figure out how to unlock story mode, here is a short guide to help you.
How to unlock story mode
In Mortal Kombat, be it X or 11, the story mode is not necessarily locked. Usually, the game will start with a tutorial. Once you have completed it, you will see Story mode unlocked. However, if you are still not able to access the story mode, then it is most probably because of the installation process.
Generally, the installation time will be different for different consoles. For instance, if you use Xbox One it will take around 30 minutes. Whereas, PS4 might take up to 90 minutes to complete the installation. For Xbox One, you can check the progress from your dashboard. But, you can not check it if you use PS4. If you are tired waiting for the installation to end, you can access the tutorial. This way, you can learn the basic controls and brush up your skills. In addition to the tutorial, you can also access Single-player, Multiplayer, Single Player, Training or regular matches.
Related article: “How to unlock Corrupted Shinnok?”
If the story mode still appears to be locked after installation.
If your Xbox One shows 100% progress in the dashboard, then the game has finished its installation. Despite the complete installation, if you still face issues with the story mode, try the following steps:
1. Restart your system by turning it off completely. After that, try to launch the game again.
2. Reinstall the game again
If the story mode is still locked after starting your system, then it is best to reinstall the game. The reinstallation process is different for both Xbox One and PS4. Hence, find the guide for each of them below.
In Xbox One
1. Head to your dashboard and highlight Mortal Kombat X’s icon.
2. Tap the menu button on your controller and select the “Manage Game” option.
3. Highlight “Mortal Kombat X” on the screen and press the menu button on your controller again
4. Select the “Uninstall” option to uninstall the game.
5. Once the uninstallation is complete, head back to your dashboard and select “Install Disc”. Try to launch the game again to start the installation process.
1. Go to your dashboard to find Mortal Kombat X.
2. From there, press the options button on your controller to “Delete” the game.
3. Once you have deleted the game, launching it again will start the installation process from the beginning.
Hopefully, this will resolve your doubt as to how to unlock story mode in Mortal Kombat X. If the issue still persists, it is best to contact WB Games. Raise a query there to see if they can resolve. But, if you follow the steps above properly, you wouldn’t have a problem unlocking the story mode.